Me Me Me Me

Sunday, August 10, 2014

B2S Tips & Tools FREEBIE Blog Hop!


I'm so happy to be joining up with some fellow PA bloggers for this little back to school blog (and freebie) hop!


This year, I told myself that I was going to stay out of my classroom for all of June and July. I made it to around June 29, and I couldn't stand it anymore! I am by NO means ready, but I've gotten a lot of work done. Headed back tomorrow to finish putting things away so I can start to PLAN!

MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER!

I know. Great tip, right? In all seriousness, last year I made the decision to STOP SENDING HOME NEWSLETTERS! *gasp*

Now, hear me out. I am ALL for the newsletters, but I found myself typing the exact same thing, week after week... "Our spelling test will be on Friday just like it's been every week" or "In math we're studying ten-frames which you would know if you read your child's papers." I was determined to find a better way to stay in contact with parents in a meaningful way.

IN COMES INSTAGRAM!

I set up an Instagram account for my classroom where I posted a few pictures each day of what my students were doing... Right there, right then. I sent home a letter explaining how it works and told parents how to download the app and how to follow me. It started off slow, but it got to the point where parents were liking and commenting on our pictures almost immediately. We had GREAT fun looking through our daily pictures and comments at the end of our school day. It was a great way to review what we did that day, and the students LOVED seeing their parents commenting on their picture!

Setting up an account is free and easy. Download Instagram from the app store and sign up when you are prompted. I just used my first and last name as my username to make it easy for parents to find. I made my account private, so only families in my classroom could view it. Go to "Edit Your Profile" and choose "Posts are Private" to make your account viewable only to your followers.


Ten Frame "I Have Who Has"

My tool for you is a game that you can use at the beginning of the school year to practice early number sense. One of our first math topics refers to 10-frames, so I'll be using this little game as a quick review! Enjoy!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog today! I hope you enjoy my little freebie.  I'd LOVE for you to follow me on Bloglovin' or Instagram to stay up to date on my new products and posts!

 Don't stop reading here!  We have more tips and tools for you.  

Follow the link to visit the wonderfully talented Autumn from First Grade Teacher Lady!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Andrew-Looks like you've been busy! I LOVE your blog-great tips and it looks great. I was one for sending home weekly newsletters, so I will look into your tip. I LOVE playing I Have/Who Has, so I will use yours for sure!
-Jen
That First Grade Blog

Mrs. Arentz said...

Andrew, I'm so glad you shared the Instagram tip! I was going to ask you to post about that. What a time-saver!
:) Wendy
Read With Me ABC

A Peach for the Teach said...

Haha, that's so true about parent newsletters! Thanks for sharing! Loved your post!

Unknown said...

I'm SO trying out the Instagram this year! Got my letter to the parents ready to go! Thanks so much for the idea!!

Just A Primary Girl said...

I gave up newsletters too for IG. Great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Would you be willing to share your letter to parents about Instagram?