Me Me Me Me

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween, ya'll! I hope you had a wonderful day full of productivity and calm students! To be totally honest, my day wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be! We took our first marking period sight word test this morning... our students are responsible for reading AND spelling all the sight words. This marking period, it was only 23 words, so it wasn't too bad. The math test I gave this afternoon? That's another story... NEVER AGAIN! Live and learn, eh?

Here's some of the Halloween-ish things we've been doing in my room this week!

With the shift towards more informational texts with the Common Core, I've been trying to get as much of it in their hands as possible. Each week, I'm introducing a new informational text feature using Hello Literacy's Informational Text Features Notebook. It's fantastic. If you don't have it, run and snag it now. It's on sale. I'm not being payed to say this and she doesn't know I'm saying it because it's really just that awesome.

ANYWHO, I got this amazing pumpkins book in my batch of free books from Scholastic at the beginning of the year. Super kid friendly but still filled with loads of awesome information. Our PTO also pays for a subscription for Time For Kids, which has been super awesome. There was an issue about spiders in the November pack that just came yesterday, so I pulled that sucker out for one last "Halloween-ish" thing today.


I know I clearly didn't invent the KWL chart, but I was super impressed with the questions my kiddos have been asking. I love love love using KWL as a previewing/sumarizing strategy! Any I love how excited the kids get when I add my terrible drawings that are supposedly "the best drawings in the world." We were all crazy surprised that pumpkins can be BLUE?! We were also super creeped out to learn that spiders see and hear through the hair on their legs?! Cray cray.



Today after our math test, I had a little extra time, so I dug out Roll A Monster from The Teacher Wife's Oh So Spooky activity pack. It's filled with tons of super stuff.


Tomorrow, we're having a Halloween "party" in our room. Translation? I didn't feel like having a real party so I'm just going to play some Halloween games and give them popcorn at the end of the day. Cross your fingers. I'll let you know how it goes!

In unrelated news, 2 pet pictures... First, our guinea pig is a diva. He flips his food dish and rips off his water bottle if I don't fill them quickly enough... Ha!


Last, my dog hates the doorbell. I decided that trick-or-treat would not be his thing!
post signature

1 comments:

The Science School Yard said...

Always looking for some fun science ideas. Love the book and chart! Love your pics on your site, too.

Renee at the Science School Yard